Thursday, July 30, 2009

Regina Spektor tackles dolphins, dance on new album



Quirky singer 'trippy' about success
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Regina Spektor has pretty pale blue eyes, but you won't see them if she's performing.
"I play most of my songs with my eyes closed," says the Moscow, Russia-born singer-songwriter.
"I don't know why, but a lot of the time I don't realize that I'm doing it. It's weird."
Perhaps, but here's a musician who's known for being a little quirky.
On the track "Folding Chairs" off her new album, "Far" (Sire Records) Spektor imitates the sound a dolphin makes. And in the music video for her peppy song "Dance Anthem of The '80s" she gets her face so close to the camera that at times you think she's going to gobble it up.
But in person, the classically trained pianist is shy and soft spoken. And she recalls her third album's debut last month at No. 3 on the Billboard album chart -- a career high -- with genuine surprise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment